Think Small for the Holidays
Finding that perfect gift online can be tricky. Your go-to sites may be great for basic items and everyday needs, but gift exchanges require a personal touch.
When it comes to finding one-of-a-kind items, I prefer to shop small. Independent artists and small businesses provide creative, unique, and beautiful products that you truly can’t find anywhere else.
Not only can you get the perfect present for your special someone, but you’re directly supporting a hard-working creative.
Gifts for Writers
Writers are contemplative souls who enjoy their creature comforts. They especially value gifts that have a story behind them, or items that directly relate to the ones they want to tell.
- A colorful collection of bookmarks, gift cards to your local indie bookshop, and a cute tote bag make for a cute and thoughtful bundle for any avid reader.
- Keychains that relate to your bestie’s current writing project will be a constant reminder that their stories are cherished.
- Hot beverages are writer’s fuel! A beautiful new teapot or humorous coffee mug is sure to be appreciated on the daily.
Gifts for Graphic Designers
Graphic designers are visual problem solvers. They may seem judgemental, but only because they want the world to be a more beautiful and practical place. They like gifts that are also a blend of function and style.
- For the visual designer with an ironic sense of humor, visual puns are always going to be a hit! Enamel pins or vinyl stickers are a great option.
- Digital accessories or on-the-go gadgets will help keep the creative chaos in check.
- The greatest gift is inspiration. Art prints, beautiful card games, or a fresh new calendar are sure to inspire future projects.
Gifts for Artists
Artists are people who see the world as a place full of possibilities. They are always learning, growing, and trying new things. Artists like gifts that make them feel understood and appreciated.
- Show your support and invest in your artist friends! Tools, art supplies, or gift cards for their online subscriptions will keep them creating into the new year.
- Nostalgic or sentimental gifts are a great choice for artists. Pick something that will remind them of happy days. Go with an inside joke, or maybe do a couples/friendship gift.
- Brighten up an artist’s workspace with cute organizational items to help them find their flow and stay in the zone.
Gifts for Co-Workers
Finding an appropriate gift for an office exchange or a memorable white elephant offering is a real challenge. Here are a few wide-appeal items that are a safe bet for any awkward occasion.
- Giving holiday-themed gits for a holiday party is easy and always appropriate. Novelty ornaments, seasonal sweets, or Grinch-y gifts are good, clean fun.
- After a tough year, the gift of a good laugh is priceless. Comical collections, a mug with a meme, or harmless gag gifts can go a long way to lighten the mood.
- For group gift-giving games in unfamiliar company, break the ice with a present you’d want for yourself. Who knows, you may find a kindred spirit.
Gifts for Dad
What do you buy for the self-sufficient, wants-for-nothing father figures in your life when they refuse to fill out a wish list? Because golf clubs or fishing gear isn’t the answer.
- Nostalgic gifts, like a favorite TV series or board game from Christmas past, could become a great excuse to spend some quality time together. It’s the gift that keeps on giving!
- An on-the-go guy may enjoy having a commute kit to make the daily drive safer and easier. Phone mounts, travel mugs, car deodorizers, pocket organizers, and a wireless headset can practically turn a car into a secondary office.
- Don’t overlook the creature comforts! A cozy throw blanket, new slippers, and something to snack on during the next movie night or game day will be genuinely appreciated.
Gifts for Yourself
Let’s face it, with all of the social obligations, waiting in line, praying the digital cookies won’t clue your family in on what they’re getting for Christmas, and reading countless gift guides online for inspiration, you’re probably due for some pampering. Here are a few ideas on how to give yourself a well-deserved reward.
- Do some delegation! Nobody said you had to pull off a holiday miracle alone.
- Buy yourself something nice! It’s never a bad time to treat yourself.
- Schedule some alone time. Naps are totally part of holiday fun.
- Make a nice list of things from this year and check it twice! There’s always something to be grateful for when we remember to look.
- Let someone know you miss them. Even if it’s out of the blue or a little vulnerable. There’s no better excuse to get back in touch than the holidays.
- Dress up in holiday style at least once. Even if you’ve got nowhere to go. Even if you’re the only person who will see. You’re allowed to feel festive!